Sunday, January 4, 2015

Grocery Getaway

Out of all the required, mundane tasks of running a home, buying groceries is my favorite.

When I come home with my bounty, I try my hardest to recreate a grocery store in my own kitchen. I organize the food items according to which aisle they came from. That way, when it's time to make dinner, I feel like I'm grocery shopping again.

I am always disappointed with the disregard my family has toward my grocery system. When I get the cabinets fully stocked, everyone else acts as if we have won the grocery lottery. 2 boxes of cereal get opened on the same morning (instead of doing the respectful thing and finishing one box before opening another), tortilla chips get opened way before it's mexican dinner night, and they assume we get free refills on the carton of milk.



When all the good stuff is gone I hear the inevitable "There is nothing to eat!". What that translates into: "We ate all the granola bars within the first 36 hours, and the animal crackers are history".  Suddenly, I am expected to make more food magically appear or go back to the store. Nope. I don't run back to the store during the middle of the week. After the jug of orange juice runs dry the drink options are tap water, beef broth, or olive oil. Need a crunchy/salty snack after the pretzels are gone? Probably gonna have to eat a bouillon cube.

Of course, I blame my obsessive food hoarding tendencies on my mother. She has now found websites that are teaching her how to stockpile rice for future generations. When the impending threat of Y2K was weighing heavy on everybody's minds, my Mom was able to rest easy at night knowing she had 50LB bags of flour and enough powdered milk to last until the year 3000.

My sisters have both rebelled against my Mother. My oldest sister sister only has two things on her mind while shopping for food: How cheap can I buy it? How fast can I cook it? My younger sister has kicked the food habit altogether, convinced she can survive on high heeled shoes alone. 


I think grocery shopping is my favorite simply because it is the only household chore that actually lets me leave the house. The experience would be much better if grocery shopping actually looked like a Michael Buble music video, complete with a brass section in the cereal aisle, woodwinds in the produce, a break dancing butcher, and confetti falling when you make it to the finish checkout line.





---

No comments:

Post a Comment