Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I homeschool because I'm perfect.

We set our alarm for the crack of dawn. We eat a hot, wholesome breakfast and the kids get dressed in their freshly ironed uniforms (shoes polished!). Soon after our reading time (only the classics!), I start drilling the kids on spelling words so they can win the Scripps spelling bee. My kids know the periodic table of elements before their peers know the alphabet. Each day is filled with biology, trigonometry, latin, 漢語普通話, english, economics, and many hours of violin practice. My children only speak when spoken to, always clean their plates, and pray in their sleep. They're are completely perfect and the picture of humility at the same time.


I'm just kidding. I only teach the kids from the Bible and the US Constitution. They will have pretty sweet trades skills by the time we are finished constructing our doomsday bunker. You haven't seen a sharp shooter until you've seen my kids. They really know how to handle a rifle.

Again, I'm kidding.

Last weekend I came across a very heated argument between die hard public school supporters, and hard core homeschoolers. Believe me when I say, it wasn't pretty.

I will share my personal reasons for homeschooling my children. Whether you are a fellow homeschooling mom (probably wearing the trademark denim jumper), or a public school proponent (don't worry, I will write in short sentences), please don't assume I judge you and your family by the decision I have made for me and mine.


Political reasons 
My husband and I are politically conservative. We simply don't have enough confidence in a Federal or State Government run institution to entrust them with something as important as our children's safety, care and education. This isn't hate speech against teachers. It's a lack of confidence in the system they work for.

Social reasons
Many people are under the assumption that homeschooled children barely see the light of day, much less enjoy socialization with their peers. This is incorrect. By and large, homeschooled children have equal (or better) social skills both with kids of various ages and adults.

Religious reasons
I am very uneasy with the idea of sending my kids to an institution that will not allow the expression of our faith. Many public schools also teach or endorse several beliefs and practices that disagrees with our beliefs.

Academic reasons
Children who receive their education at home have the advantage of a tailor made program. They are free to work at their own pace in every subject. The student to teacher ratio is terrific. They aren't grouped together with a classroom of 20 other kids who are expected to learn on the same schedule.

Check out this this article from the Washington times (It's not long, definitely worth a minute of your time). Homeschooled children score better on standardized tests. It's a fact.

Practical reasons
When it was time to start thinking about school options for Abby (our oldest), my husband was traveling as an evangelist. We had to make a decision: either I stay home and send Abby to school everyday, or we homeschool which would allow our family to travel together. We chose to give homeschooling a try, and we really feel like it is still working well for our family.

Personal reasons
I do not have any ill feelings toward teachers. I know several teachers, and the teachers I know are great at their jobs. I am also not naive enough to think that all teachers are good teachers.

For example, I went to kindergarten at the local public school. For whatever reason, my mother decided not to send me back the next year for 1st grade. School had only been in session for a few days, and my best friend who lived next door was talking about the classroom that I would have been in if I were enrolled in school. The teacher had decorated a bulletin board with a big apple tree. All of the boys had their name on a green apple. All of the girls had their name on a red apple. My name was on a rotten, brown apple that was laying on the ground. I can hardly believe she would have been nice to me if I were part of her classroom.

Yes, there are days when I second guess myself. When the kids are crazy, I fight the urge to run after the school bus yelling "You forgot two!". Luckily those days are few and far between. I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing my kids learn to read or ace a spelling test. I love the flexibility of choosing to skip math when the kids are having a bad day. I also love the freedom to do 5 math lessons on days where the kids feel like superstars. I'm happy they have the freedom to learn in their own way, in their own time.

I like my kids. I like spending time with them. I enjoy teaching them. I take pride in being the one to care for them all day. I could send them to the best school, they could have the nicest, most well trained teacher with the most experience, and that teacher still could not love them as much as I love them. They are only little once, and I am going to enjoy it as much as I can.









3 comments:

  1. The jumper comment made me LOL! I love that J. is wearing a cape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Betsy, oh how I remember our homeschool days! These were the best years of my life. We did send them to a Christian school bit by bit. That, too, worked well for us. I am from Germany and I had never even heard of homeschooling until an American family that worked for the military told me about that option in the US. It is such a blessing to be able to your children. Please pray for the German families that are bein persecuted for this basic human right of homeschooling your children. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new at blogging...so, I didn't have a chance to edit what I wrote... correction "It is such a blessing to be able to homeschool your children."
    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete