Thursday, January 9, 2014

Birthday cakes

I decided when Abby was a baby that I was going to make all of her (and all of her future siblings') birthday cakes. I think I made that decision when we didn't have money to buy a cake from the bakery. No matter how it came about, it has been a fun tradition.

We don't do birthday parties for our kids. We buy them a small gift, they get to choose what I cook for dinner, and I make them a cake. And my kids still think birthdays are awesome.

Even though most of the cakes I have made for the kids belong on a Pinterest "Nailed it!" meme, the looks on their faces are priceless. I show them a poorly decorated cake, and for a fleeting moment in time they think I am some kind of baking rock star. 

Here are a few of the cakes I have made them so far...



Jonas, and a Mike Wazowski cake for his 3rd birthday. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to try to cut "teeth" out of marshmallows?


A Mickey Mouse cake for Beckham's 2nd birthday.


Angry Bird when Beck turned 4. Who doesn't love a black licorice unibrow?! It took me longer to decorate this cake than it did to give birth to Beckham. <---Fact.


Abby with her Hello Kitty cake when she turned 7. I found out the hard way that rasinets are like snowflakes, no two are shaped the same.


And the most recent, Abby's 9th birthday cake. She really wanted a minion cake, but we got 14 inches of snow the day before, so I couldn't leave the house to buy any decorating supplies. A heart shaped cake was her second choice, so I scrounged through the cabinets to put this one together.



---

No comments:

Post a Comment