Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Year 2014

I have a love/hate relationship with goals. It is so motivating to set goals and dream about the finish line. On the other hand, it's a pretty crummy feeling when you fall short after a month. Or a week. Or the next day.

This year I have decided on some goals to work toward, a habit I would like to make, and a couple of habits I would like to ditch. And most importantly: I'm not going to get frustrated when my progress is stalled or slow going.


Goal #1: Read 52 books.
This is the top of my list, because I have the most confidence in making this one happen. I love to read. 

Goal #2: Save money.
This is two fold. I plan to cut spending and literally put money in a jar and not spend it.

Goal #3: Read the Bible better and more faithfully.
I ordered one of those nifty One-year Bibles after Christmas. I got the shipment of books yesterday, and it was the one thing that wasn't included in the box. Of course.

Goal #4 Learn how to sew.
I'm not looking to make wedding gowns, just wanting to learn simple skills. I would love to make a quilt.

Good habit to form: Make sleep a priority at our house.
Not gonna lie, this is going to be hard. Really, really hard. To all the parents out there with several children (especially small children), you know sleep just doesn't come easy. Shamefully, there are many nights where I don't get my kids in bed until 10pm...or later. That means I don't go to bed until midnight...or later. 

Bad habit to break: Poor time management.
I'm very bad at this. For example, if I am taking the kids to a homeschool hangout that starts at 1pm, we need to leave by 12:30. I will do school with the kids, put dinner in the crockpot, start laundry, and load the dishwasher first. Next thing I know, it's already noon, every member of the family is still in their pajamas, and I still haven't taken a shower. We are always, always, always rushed to get out the door. 

Bad habit to break: Looking at screens all day.
The computer, kindle, iPad, iPhone, and tv are supreme time wasters. And of course I'm talking about looking at a screen while I'm looking at a computer screen. I also suspect screen time is something that is robbing my family of sleep.


So there it is. My official list for the New Year. Check back in February, maybe I will start working on a goal by then.

---

1 comment: