Friday, April 13, 2012

A letter to Barack Obama



Dear Mr. President,

You recently stated that your wife didn’t have the “luxury” of staying at home and caring for your children. I disagree with you (don’t be shocked, this isn’t the first time it’s happened).


Let me give you a little insight to the reality of a stay at home mom. I buy my clothes from Goodwill. My husband and I share one vehicle, it’s 11 years old, has 190,000 miles, it does not have air conditioning, and the gas gauge doesn’t work. I had been married for 5 years and had 2 kids (and a mortgage) before I had a cell phone. I’ve never spent a dime in a salon for a cut, color, manicure, or pedicure. I use cloth diapers for our baby, because I can’t guarantee we will have an extra $50 dollars a month for pampers. I’ve been dreaming of a beach vacation for almost 10 years now. The only luxury I have is going to bed at night knowing my kids weren’t bullied on the school bus, or bit at the daycare.

I don’t stay at home with my kids by default. It’s not because I wasn’t smart enough to have a career. I’m not a lame brain who doesn’t realize there is a big world outside our little home. I stay at home because my kids need an available mom, more than our house needs another paycheck. This is what I wanted. This is what I’ve chosen. 

Don’t insult the mothers that truly have to work. You were earning a 6-figure income, I’m sure you could have made ends meet. Don’t say your wife didn’t have the luxury of staying home. Just be honest and say she wasn't willing to make the sacrifice.

Sincerely,
Betsy Solorio


---

7 comments: