Saturday, April 16, 2011

Storage Solutions

I am still reading various articles about organization, trying to figure out which ones might work for me. I came across Michelle Duggar's method for keeping her storage garage organized, and it's brilliant!


Step 1) Choose what you are going to use: Boxes or Totes. Which ever you pick, they all have to be the same (for stacking purposes). I decided to use storage totes that are sold at my local Dollar General, so when I need one I won't have to drive 20 miles to Wal-Mart (I hate Wal-Mart).

Step 2) Fill it up. It doesn't matter what you put in the box/tote. It doesn't matter at all. You can spend as much or as little time on this as you wish.

Step 3) Here is the catch: What ever you put in the container, you have to list it on an index card (this is the detail that satisfies my "Perfectionist" side). When the tote is full, and the index card is complete they are both marked with a corresponding number. I am using the same brand/color totes, but in 3 different sizes. The small size are all numbered starting with 1, Medium with 2, and Large with 3.

Step 4) Stack the totes in the garage in numerical order, and put your index cards in a pencil or recipe box. When you want something out of storage, you conveniently flip through your card catalog, instead of tearing through the containers. 

Now this fall when Jonas is needing 12 month clothing, I will know exactly where the hand me downs are!


Pictures of my progress so far:  




No comments:

Post a Comment