Monday, April 15, 2013

Kindergarten and quiet boxes

As a homeschooling mama I have to decide whether or not to start a formal kindergarten curriculum with Beckham this fall. He turned 5 last week, but I'm still nervous that he's too young. I'm 99% certain that I'm going to wait, and here's why:



Pros
-He's really very, very smart. I know I'm his mom, but it's a fact.
-He's asking for school work when he sees Abby getting her books out (although I think most of that motivation is mainly geared toward wanting to skip a potential nap).

Cons
-His attention span is roughly 5.9 seconds. On a good day.
-He doesn't want to follow the directions in the small preschool books I've bought for him.
-He moves so much during the day, it's like he's competing in a P90x marathon.
-His attention span is roughly 5.9 seconds.
-Baby #4 will only be a few weeks old when it's time to start the school year. I'm not sure I will be up to teaching both a 2nd grader and a kindergartener while juggling a toddler and a newborn, and I don't want to begin his school career on the wrong foot.
-He will be starting a speech therapy program with grad students at a nearby university this fall. I think phonics and sounding out letters & blends will be easier after his speech has improved.
-His attention span is roughly 5.9 seconds.

I've pretty much decided to take this coming school year to focus on developing speech, attention, and following directions with Beckham. He will be included in the unit studies I have planned for Abby, and I'll continue to try to work with him in some pre-k level workbooks. I'm also hoping he will outgrow a little bit of his impulsive nature.

I came across a blog last week that showed quiet boxes. It's a small box filled with simple, stimulating activities to be enjoyed during quiet/alone time. I made some for Beckham yesterday, and plan on using them as a tool for developing some focused attention. Each day during the week I will give him a box, spread a blanket on the floor, and set a timer. He will be expected to stay on the blanket and keep himself (relatively) quiet until the timer beeps.

Here is what I put in the quiet boxes:



Box #1
Magnetic dry erase board with dry erase marker and geometric wooden magnets,
a miniature etch-a-sketch, a search and find picture book,
and a set of dominoes. (confession, I got those dominoes 
from a trash pile on someone's curb)




Box #2
A wipe off book of numbers and counting with a dry erase marker,
a miniature wooly willy game, 4 miniature fish puzzles,
a kaleidoscope type toy, and a magnetic gyro wheel. 





Box #3
Lace and trace cardboard pictures, a Rubik's cube, a set of number 
flash cards, a magna doodle-ish toy, and a metal
links puzzle.




Box #4
A wipe off book of colors and shapes with a dry erase marker,
silly putty (I'm mildly moderately apprehensive about this item), 
2 moving piece puzzles,
a small ball bearing maze, and some foam number puzzle pieces.




Box #5
An i-spy seek and find picture book, 4 miniature fruit puzzles,
a bag of legos, a set of dinosaurs, and a ball bearing pinball game.


One of the awesome things about homeschooling is catering to each child's individual learning style. I'm sure just as Beckham will be learning how to focus his energy, I will be learning how to teach a child who has limited sit-down-ability. I love my little guy...even with his abundant energy level and lacking attention span. :)


---


2 comments:

  1. Aren't these boxes great?!

    (I have a post about what we've put in ours http://www.holistichomemaking.org/2010/04/mammas-bag-of-tricks-quiet-time-bins.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should repost this on the homeschool page!!

    ReplyDelete